I love the process of writing, and the stringing together of words to form a story borne from the wisp of an idea.
Having dabbled in poetry and short stories for many years, I focused on
writing more seriously once my children were at school.
An active and respected member of the Canberra writing scene, I was elected to the Committee that was instrumental in establishing the ACT Writers Centre.
For almost a decade, I contributed a weekly cookery column, Stirring the Pot,
to The Chronicle newspaper, a subsidiary of The Canberra Times.
My poems and book reviews have been published in the literary pages of The Canberra Times, and editions of Muse magazine, Tamba, Studio, Spindrift and FreeXpression.
In 2013, I won the Narrative category of the SA Writers Centre/Food Bloggers Australia food writing competition, judged by food historian and Professor of the Graduate Program in Food Studies at the University of Adelaide, Barbara Santich,
and Michelle Prak, Board Member of the SA Writers Centre.
In 2015, one of my original recipes was selected for inclusion in Australia Cooks, edited by Kelli Brett and produced by the Australian Broadcasting Commission and HarperCollins.
My first book, The Barber from Budapest & other stories - a memoir with recipes -
was published in November 2016 by Parsley Lane Press.
Interviews, publicity and mentions
Interviews and reviews:
Publications (online and otherwise):
- Featured on National Library of Australia bookshop web site
- Review, The Barber from Budapest & other stories, by Michelle Brotohusodo on HER Caberra, December 2016
- Interviewed on ABC Radio National Life Matters, December 2016
- Featured in The Canberra Weekly, December 2016
- Interviewed on J-Air Travel Writers Radio, November 2016
- Review, The Barber from Budapest & other stories, by Bree Winchester, The Canberra Times, November 2016
- Review, The Barber from Budapest & other stories, by Serina Huang, The RiotACT, November 2016
- Interviewed by Lish Fejer on Sunday Brunch, 666 ABC Canberra, November 2016
- Interviewed by Chris Mac, Radio 2CC, November 2016
- Review, The Barber from Budapest & other stories by Sally Hammond, Food & Travel, November 2016
- Chat with Lish Fejer on Sunday Brunch, 666 ABC Canberra, September 2016.
- Interviewed by esteemed author and ACT Writers Centre blogger in residence, Penny Hanley, August 2016.
- Appliance Retailer, interview about Tefal Cuisine Companion, July 2015
- Interviewed by HER Canberra, July 2013
- Weekly radio segment, The Ten Dollar Dinner, 666 ABC Radio Canberra
with James Valentine and Rod Quinn, 1997-2001
- Australian Broadcasting Commission, Australia Cooks, ACT winner (mains), 2015
- Capital Region Farmers Market, Friendly Folk, 2015
- ANU Reporter, From a horse and buggy to a baby in a buggy, 2015
- CBR Foodie, Meet a Canberra foodie, 2014
- Fairfax goodfood, Food Bloggers Share a Good Meal, 2014
- Fairfax goodfood, Top of the Posts, July 2013
- La Dolce Vita, beautiful websites, 2013
- Austral Fisheries, 2013
- Australian Asparagus Council, Meet the Chefs
- AUS Lit published poet and reviewer
Publications (online and otherwise):
- My book! The Barber from Budapest & other stories - a memoir with recipes
- published by Parsley Lane Press
- 5 of the best, Melbourne, 5 delicious cherry recipes
- Carers ACT, Carer's Circle, 2014
- Sapphire Coast Tourism, A Foodie's first visit to the Sapphire Coast
- live with ILVE, featured blogger, 2013
- IN Daily, Adelaide's independent newspaper, featured blogger, 2013
- Food Writer Friday, featured blogger, 2013
- True Food Network, featured foodie, 2012
- Catherine Saxelby's Food Watch, guest blogger, 2012
- Food Bloggers Australia, featured food blogger, 2012
- Honey Delight, Blue Ribbon ANZAC Biscuits, 2012
- Capital Taste by Mary Brander, 1997
- Weekly columnist, Stirring the Pot, The Chronicle newspaper (The Canberra Times), 1993-2003
- Guest Judge, Sydney Markets FRESH awards writing competition, 2017
- Guest judge, Sydney Markets Fresh Awards writing competition, 2016
- Coordinator and judge of the Eat Drink Blog writing competition, 2015
- Guest panelist, Is full time blogging the holy grail? Eat Drink Blog Canberra, 2015
- Winner, Narrative Category, Best Australian Food Blog writing competition, 2013
- Participant in Visit Canberra's The Human Brochure campaign, 2012
- Australia Day Achievement Award - leadership & innovation
Department of Industry, 2012